Skip to main content

Assignment 2: Bug List

1. Plastic bags can't be put in home recycling bins.
WHY IT EXISTS: Plastic bags can be recycled, but they have a different sorting process than other common plastics. There are plastic bag recycling bins at most grocery stores, but it's more of a bother to go all the way to a grocery store than to throw the bags in with the rest of the home recycling.
2. Not being able to find a bathroom in New York City.
WHY IT EXISTS: There are very few public restrooms in NYC, and the few that exist are for paying customers only. I can't tell you how many packs of gum I've bought just so I can use the bathroom. The things I saw in one particular Starbucks bathroom in Times Square will haunt me forever.
3. Astronomical carry-on fees.
WHY IT EXISTS: Airlines like Spirit get you with dirt-cheap flight prices, then charge ridiculous fees for a carry-on. At the end of the day, you could just buy a ticket with Delta or JetBlue that comes with a free carry-on and actually have a pleasant flight experience (this one goes out to my cheap travel buddies).
4. Having to go through the car wash during love bug season.
WHY IT EXISTS: Love bugs bug me (ha) because they reproduce so rapidly during their mating season that it's almost impossible to keep their splattered corpses off your windshield. It's like shoveling snow while it's still snowing.
5. Excessive plastic packaging.
WHY IT EXISTS: I know, I know, I shouldn't even be buying stuff in plastic packaging, but sometimes it's just comical how much plastic is used. The other day I had a yogurt parfait with a plastic seal, a plastic top to contain the granola in a plastic bag and a plastic divider so the granola bag wouldn't fall into the yogurt. Products like the parfait are made to save the consumer a few steps, so they are fine with excessive packaging if it makes things more convenient. I know manufacturers think this is making things easier for consumers, but it's just wasteful.
6. People passing you on the road when you're going a reasonable speed.
WHY IT EXISTS: This is Florida, so the speed limit is not the speed limit, the flow of traffic is the speed limit. Therefore, if there is a car a few miles in front of me, I simply must go 90 just to catch up to it, right? Wrong. Please stop passing me when I'm already going 80, good Floridians.
7. Putting bacon on everything.
WHY IT EXISTS: America is still obsessed with bacon, and so it must go on every perfectly good sandwich or pasta. Don't get me wrong, I'm a good bacon-loving patriot, but I believe in everything in moderation.
8. When dentists try to make conversation with you while filling your mouth with sharp objects.
WHY IT EXISTS: I know you're just trying to be polite, but I really can't tell you how college is going with you stabbing my gums, now can I, doc?
9. 1.) Women's clothes that do not have pockets, 2.) Women's clothes with pockets that could fit a golf ball in them, or, worst of all, 3.) Women's clothes with FAKE POCKETS.
WHY IT EXISTS: Bear with me, here. If women have no pockets, we have no place to put our phone, our keys, or whatever else we need. This either forces us to spend more money on a bag or leave us looking like disorganized fools with no place for our things. It's such a simple thing, but it sounds like a tool of the patriarchy to me.
10. People who get their pets fake service animal vests.
WHY IT EXISTS: The thought of bringing my dog everywhere is tempting, but I also know that she's a naughty little gargoyle who should not set paw in public places. People buy these vests just so they can bring their pet anywhere, but this is more harmful than they realize. People who scam the service animal system discredit the legitimacy of people who have registered, trained service animals that they need to function.
11. When my parents post a photo of me to their Facebook and all my relatives comment some nonsense about needing to get the shotgun ready.
WHY IT EXISTS: To my Southern relatives, protecting one's daughter from romantic suitors is noble. To me, it's creepy, possessive, and shows that they hold no faith in a woman's ability to protect and speak for herself.
12. Waiters who don't write down the table's order, then come back to clarify everything.
WHY IT EXISTS: Maybe they feel that they've worked tables long enough that they're confident in their memory, or maybe they just want to impress the table. Either way, it'd just be easier to write the thing down.
13. Breed restrictions at apartment complexes.
WHY IT EXISTS: Management at some apartment complexes believe that some breeds (Pitbulls, Rottweilers, etc.) are inherently aggressive and/or destructive and don't want to risk housing them. Sometimes this is the belief of renter's insurance agencies and they're simply in keeping with their policies.
14. When my toenail polish chips right after I got a pedicure.
WHY IT EXISTS: I'm a dancer, so I'm dragging, banging, and generally abusing my feet almost every day. No protective topcoat can save my poor tootsies.
15. People who hate on my pet tarantula even though she's just a glorified pet rock.
WHY IT EXISTS: People are understandably afraid of snakes, spiders, and other creepy crawlers. These animals have been demonized in media as scary obstacles for Indiana Jones and other heroes. The truth is that Morticia (my spider) is afraid of her own shadow and would rather sit under her log all day than even think about showing you her pincers.
16. People who "don't care about politics."
WHY IT EXISTS: The ability to not care about politics is a luxury for a select few. They feel that the decisions of politicians don't affect them in any way, so they shouldn't have to care.
17. Having to be 21 to rent a car.
WHY IT EXISTS: Given the higher risk of accidents among young people, you generally have to be 21 to rent a car. What's more, drivers under 25 are charged a higher rental fee.
18. Bands who wait an hour after the opening act to take the stage.
WHY IT EXISTS: Musicians run on a different schedule than the rest of us, and their tardiness is usually fuelled by alcohol consumption. Most people in the crowd are in the same state of inebriation, but the waiting becomes tiring for the rest of us under aged fans.
19. Teachers who say that "the bell doesn't dismiss you, I do."
WHY IT EXISTS: Teachers are given a limited amount of time each day to mold the minds of young America. The bell is their enemy in this endeavor, and they treat it as such.
20. When the bridge of your nose starts getting sweaty and your glasses keep falling down your face.
WHY IT EXISTS: Glasses are usually made out of slick materials that do nothing to prevent them from falling down your face. A good wipe down with your t-shirt usually isn't enough to get all the grease off your glasses and keep them from slipping.


Reflection
I found this assignment far more difficult than I thought it would be. It's not that I couldn't think of things that bug me, it's that I couldn't think of things that bug me with clear reasons for existing. Most of my bugs stem from deplorable human behavior, and I can't come up with a product to make people treat others with respect. I know the point of this assignment was to think about ways to solve everyday problems through entrepreneurship, but most of my problems can't be solved in this way.

Still, I enjoyed the opportunity to think like an entrepreneur. Anytime a new product comes out that solves one or more of my problems, I'm impressed that someone thought, "Wait a second, I could make this task so much easier." We go through so much of life working harder, not smarter. We even pride ourselves on that fact. I have great respect for people who constantly search for solutions to problems after this assignment.

Comments

  1. I really appreciate how much effort was put into this entry! I have a lot of the same issues you said in your post! In all honestly you bring up a lot a issues that a business could potentially be built around. I like the issue regarding plastic bag recyling because I feel like most people dont really get that its an issue. Also the astronomical carry on fees are DEFINITELY a scam. Great work! Very entertaining to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed number 14 because that literally just happened to me yesterday. Most of your bugs are also bugs to me as well. You really put some good thought into your bugs even with the explanation why it does. I also enjoyed this activity to think differently because I am not used to think as an entrepreneur to try and solve problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! You did a great job listing out things that bug you and effectively answered why they happen, as well as including a reflection. You put really good effort into each step of the assignment and it turned out really well. The post was completed well and organized in a way that made it easy to read and entertaining as well. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Peyton, great job on this assignment, I found that you did a great job going into detail about these bugs! I found your comment about the airlines adding on surcharges to be super relatable and equally frustrating. I have flown a few times this year and I too relate to being super sick of these unforeseen charges. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 28: Your Exit Strategy

1. I think my exit strategy will involve expanding the business for a decade or so and then selling it. I think that my knowledge and tastes concerning makeup have a shelf life, and one day my products will be irrelevant. I think I will sell the business before that happens. That way, some ambitious newcomer can make something of the brand name and I can retire. 2. As I've stated in previous posts, many big names in the makeup industry will start by selling one product and then expand into other product lines. I hope to do the same thing since I obviously love makeup and would like to create a makeup collection of my own. Expanding the business for 10 years or so will give me the time I need to establish my brand name and accomplish everything I want to accomplish before selling. 3. I really hadn't thought of my exit strategy before now since I was so concerned with getting my venture off the ground. I think I was aware that whatever I chose as my business idea for this cou

Assignment 21: Reading Reflection No. 2

For this assignment, I read Clay Shirky's "Cognitive Surplus." (I really, ridiculously enjoyed it!) 1. The central theme of the book is how humanity's inherent need to socialize, share, and communicate can be harnessed via social media technology to coordinate action and discussion in an unprecedented way. This is called our cognitive surplus. Throughout the book, he cites various examples of curious human behavior that arose from the combination of humanity's basic desire to be social creatures and innovative forums for public discourse. It's a truly fascinating analysis of human behavior and how it has not been changed but given new opportunities through the Internet and social media. 2. I am taking two business courses right now as part of my outside concentration for my major. I've learned in both courses that a huge part of business is looking past what you think the reasons for consumer behavior are and trying to find the actual reasons that m

Assignment 18: Creating a Customer Avatar

My product will be sold to both business and individuals, but I will focus on individuals for this assignment because there are many more of them and I think they make the most interesting customer avatar. My customer is a 21-year-old woman who lives and breathes makeup. The centerpiece of her room is her vanity and she has her makeup separated by brand, type, and color. She subscribes to all the hottest makeup YouTubers and trusts their opinions on which products to buy. She flew all the way to LA once to go to Beauty Con and meet Jeffree Star, her idol. In fact, she even has her own beauty YouTube channel. She doesn't have many subscribers yet, but she's just happy to be putting her art out there into the world, you know? She lives in an apartment close to her college campus with her three girlfriends. She's a marketing major, but she's just doing it to please her parents. She knows she wants to be a makeup artist. She drives a silver 2011 Toyota Camry that has