Skip to main content

Assignment 28: Your Exit Strategy

1. I think my exit strategy will involve expanding the business for a decade or so and then selling it. I think that my knowledge and tastes concerning makeup have a shelf life, and one day my products will be irrelevant. I think I will sell the business before that happens. That way, some ambitious newcomer can make something of the brand name and I can retire.

2. As I've stated in previous posts, many big names in the makeup industry will start by selling one product and then expand into other product lines. I hope to do the same thing since I obviously love makeup and would like to create a makeup collection of my own. Expanding the business for 10 years or so will give me the time I need to establish my brand name and accomplish everything I want to accomplish before selling.

3. I really hadn't thought of my exit strategy before now since I was so concerned with getting my venture off the ground. I think I was aware that whatever I chose as my business idea for this course, I didn't want to be involved with it for the rest of my career, so I chose something as ephemeral as makeup. The fleeting nature of makeup and what makeup is en vogue definitely suits an entrepreneur who eventually wants to sell the business and retire.

Comments

  1. Hey Peyton! I think that using this venture as a stepping stone to pursuing more adventurous projects in the future is a really smart plan! Additionally I think that putting serious thought into understanding what projects you could see yourself pursuing into the unforseeable future would make your potential ventures both more fulfilling and give them a larger chance of success. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peyton! I think your overview of your exist strategy is really well done and thought out. I also hadn't really considered what these final steps would be for my own idea so I'm glad that's something you brought up too. Your idea is really strong and I think that with this type of implementation in can go really far. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Peyton, great job with this post. I think your strategy is a very smart one, and probably a popular one among lots of new entrepreneurs, in order to build a brand and use that to start another business that they truly want to stay in for a long time. I chose a similar strategy, and it wouldn’t surprise me if other people in this class went the same route. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 21: Reading Reflection No. 2

For this assignment, I read Clay Shirky's "Cognitive Surplus." (I really, ridiculously enjoyed it!) 1. The central theme of the book is how humanity's inherent need to socialize, share, and communicate can be harnessed via social media technology to coordinate action and discussion in an unprecedented way. This is called our cognitive surplus. Throughout the book, he cites various examples of curious human behavior that arose from the combination of humanity's basic desire to be social creatures and innovative forums for public discourse. It's a truly fascinating analysis of human behavior and how it has not been changed but given new opportunities through the Internet and social media. 2. I am taking two business courses right now as part of my outside concentration for my major. I've learned in both courses that a huge part of business is looking past what you think the reasons for consumer behavior are and trying to find the actual reasons that m

Assignment 18: Creating a Customer Avatar

My product will be sold to both business and individuals, but I will focus on individuals for this assignment because there are many more of them and I think they make the most interesting customer avatar. My customer is a 21-year-old woman who lives and breathes makeup. The centerpiece of her room is her vanity and she has her makeup separated by brand, type, and color. She subscribes to all the hottest makeup YouTubers and trusts their opinions on which products to buy. She flew all the way to LA once to go to Beauty Con and meet Jeffree Star, her idol. In fact, she even has her own beauty YouTube channel. She doesn't have many subscribers yet, but she's just happy to be putting her art out there into the world, you know? She lives in an apartment close to her college campus with her three girlfriends. She's a marketing major, but she's just doing it to please her parents. She knows she wants to be a makeup artist. She drives a silver 2011 Toyota Camry that has