Skip to main content

Assignment 14: Halfway Reflection

1) Tenaciousness is a competency. What are the behaviors that you have used (or developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course? 
Reporting is widely considered to be the most difficult class in the journalism college. On top of getting your weekly story done, you must always be thinking about what you will cover next week. It's a constant revolving door of work that just doesn't allow for procrastination. I've found that the same skills and work "flow" I developed in reporting I am now using to manage my time in this class. You know what's coming every week, so you need to plan accordingly. I'm not a "work a little each day" person, so I usually find a day during the week with nothing else going on and knock everything out. 
2) Tenaciousness is also about attitude. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like "giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or experiences most contributed to this?
I don't think I've ever felt like giving up in this class, but I've had a few days where I just couldn't seem to put my ideas on paper (or screen) as hard as I tried. On those days, I'd take a walk around my house to clear my head and put my phone far away from my work station. Once I put myself in the right headspace, I was able to crank out some quality work. I don't know if you could call the drive to just get your work done a "tenacious attitude," but I suppose I have developed a level of tenacity due to the rigorous schedule of the course. You have to be willing to plow through your workload to get things done, especially if you're taking multiple classes this semester.
3) Three tips. What are three tips you would offer next semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2) developing the 'tenacious mindset'?
1. Don't listen to everyone who tells you to do a little work each day or set aside a specific day each week to work. Life doesn't work like that. Someone is going to ask you to go to the beach on the day you're supposed to work. You'll have days where you don't want to work at all. Just know yourself, how you work, your weekly schedule, and plan accordingly. If you try to force yourself into a routine that doesn't make sense with how you work, you won't work efficiently. Knowing how you operate is part of being tenacious.
2. Don't be afraid to ask for help, whether it's from your professors, TAs, roommates, friends, family, or whoever's around. I'd say that I get someone else's opinion on almost everything I turn in. As a journalist, constructive criticism is my lifeblood, and that applies to the rest of my work as well. Knowing where your strengths and weaknesses lie will help you map out future assignments and approach every week with a fresh perspective.
3. Remember why you're doing this whenever you feel bogged down with work. There have been plenty of times when I'm on deadline and I ask myself, "Is this even worth it?" Many people would say no, but I hold firm that everything I am doing now will be worth it in the end. All the hard work you're putting in now is part of a much larger picture. Try to envision that picture when you're feeling overwhelmed. I promise you, it's a lovely sight.
I'm not sure what kind of image we're supposed to add but here's a wholesome meme to motivate you to get through the semester <3

Comments

  1. Great post, Peyton! I loved your choice of meme, great pick. In particular, I found your tips to really ring true to my own life. Everyone works differently and it's unrealistic for people to expect students to all work at the same pace. Every student should find a pace that works well for them. Additionally, your comments on remembering why you are doing this in the first place are so spot on. Sometimes we lose sight of the end goal and what really matters and by keeping that in mind, we ensure we complete the steps we need in order to get to the finish line.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 28: Your Exit Strategy

1. I think my exit strategy will involve expanding the business for a decade or so and then selling it. I think that my knowledge and tastes concerning makeup have a shelf life, and one day my products will be irrelevant. I think I will sell the business before that happens. That way, some ambitious newcomer can make something of the brand name and I can retire. 2. As I've stated in previous posts, many big names in the makeup industry will start by selling one product and then expand into other product lines. I hope to do the same thing since I obviously love makeup and would like to create a makeup collection of my own. Expanding the business for 10 years or so will give me the time I need to establish my brand name and accomplish everything I want to accomplish before selling. 3. I really hadn't thought of my exit strategy before now since I was so concerned with getting my venture off the ground. I think I was aware that whatever I chose as my business idea for this cou

Assignment 21: Reading Reflection No. 2

For this assignment, I read Clay Shirky's "Cognitive Surplus." (I really, ridiculously enjoyed it!) 1. The central theme of the book is how humanity's inherent need to socialize, share, and communicate can be harnessed via social media technology to coordinate action and discussion in an unprecedented way. This is called our cognitive surplus. Throughout the book, he cites various examples of curious human behavior that arose from the combination of humanity's basic desire to be social creatures and innovative forums for public discourse. It's a truly fascinating analysis of human behavior and how it has not been changed but given new opportunities through the Internet and social media. 2. I am taking two business courses right now as part of my outside concentration for my major. I've learned in both courses that a huge part of business is looking past what you think the reasons for consumer behavior are and trying to find the actual reasons that m

Assignment 18: Creating a Customer Avatar

My product will be sold to both business and individuals, but I will focus on individuals for this assignment because there are many more of them and I think they make the most interesting customer avatar. My customer is a 21-year-old woman who lives and breathes makeup. The centerpiece of her room is her vanity and she has her makeup separated by brand, type, and color. She subscribes to all the hottest makeup YouTubers and trusts their opinions on which products to buy. She flew all the way to LA once to go to Beauty Con and meet Jeffree Star, her idol. In fact, she even has her own beauty YouTube channel. She doesn't have many subscribers yet, but she's just happy to be putting her art out there into the world, you know? She lives in an apartment close to her college campus with her three girlfriends. She's a marketing major, but she's just doing it to please her parents. She knows she wants to be a makeup artist. She drives a silver 2011 Toyota Camry that has