Skip to main content

Assignment 16: What's Your Secret Sauce?

Five ways that I think I have human capital:
1. Honest: I've been told that this is my most admirable quality. I never beat around the bush and you never have to wonder where you stand with me. The same goes for my work. I'll never sugarcoat anything and I'm able to adapt when confronted with constructive criticism.
2. Observant: I tend to hang back and take in what is going on around me before I make a move. I spend a great deal of time collecting information and analyzing it before I finally make a decision. I have never been one to behave recklessly.
3. Hardworking: Simply put, I stay on my grind until the job is done. I try my best to not only get the work done on time but to make sure that everything I produce is quality work.
4. Forward-thinking: I always try to stay a step ahead of the game. Being a journalist means that I'm always working in a fast-paced environment, and I have the progressive mindset to keep up with this type of work.
5. Intuitive: I have the ability to make connections and see patterns that others cannot see. You don't need a crystal ball or a tarot deck to see the future, you just need to pay attention to recurring situations and draw meaningful conclusions.

Interviews:
My (very talkative) boyfriend talks about my bluntness, forward-thinking, and ability to synthesize information into something meaningful. He uses the word synthesis a lot and I'm not sure exactly what it means, but I feel like he's onto something.


My brother says that when I take up a project, I don't rest until I get it done and I'm not one to procrastinate. In one word, he thinks I'm persistent.


My dad thinks that I'm goal-oriented, driven, and passionate about everything I do. In a word, he thinks that I'm driven.


My mom says that my greatest attribute is my creativity. She also thinks that I'm witty, both in terms of my sense of humor and my ability to find creative solutions to problems.


My best friend believes that my honesty is my greatest attribute. She says that some think it's a bad thing, but that she admires my ability to be blunt in any situation.

Reflection: I'm a little surprised since I thought more people would cite honesty as my greatest attribute. I'm sometimes scolded for being blunt, but, for the most part, my friends and family truly appreciate that they can expect total honesty from me. I expected my interviewees to talk about my work ethic and drive, and a few of them did. I never considered my mom's comment about my ability to creatively find solutions to problems, but I think I'd add it to the list if I could revise part 1. I shy away from calling myself creative because I think it's a saturated adjective that has lost its meaning, but I suppose I must be creative to have my job as a graphic designer. My interviewees are the people who know me best, so I trust their answers completely. There's always a disconnect between how you see yourself and how other people see you, especially the people who love you. It was kind of nice to see myself through their eyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 28: Your Exit Strategy

1. I think my exit strategy will involve expanding the business for a decade or so and then selling it. I think that my knowledge and tastes concerning makeup have a shelf life, and one day my products will be irrelevant. I think I will sell the business before that happens. That way, some ambitious newcomer can make something of the brand name and I can retire. 2. As I've stated in previous posts, many big names in the makeup industry will start by selling one product and then expand into other product lines. I hope to do the same thing since I obviously love makeup and would like to create a makeup collection of my own. Expanding the business for 10 years or so will give me the time I need to establish my brand name and accomplish everything I want to accomplish before selling. 3. I really hadn't thought of my exit strategy before now since I was so concerned with getting my venture off the ground. I think I was aware that whatever I chose as my business idea for this cou

Assignment 21: Reading Reflection No. 2

For this assignment, I read Clay Shirky's "Cognitive Surplus." (I really, ridiculously enjoyed it!) 1. The central theme of the book is how humanity's inherent need to socialize, share, and communicate can be harnessed via social media technology to coordinate action and discussion in an unprecedented way. This is called our cognitive surplus. Throughout the book, he cites various examples of curious human behavior that arose from the combination of humanity's basic desire to be social creatures and innovative forums for public discourse. It's a truly fascinating analysis of human behavior and how it has not been changed but given new opportunities through the Internet and social media. 2. I am taking two business courses right now as part of my outside concentration for my major. I've learned in both courses that a huge part of business is looking past what you think the reasons for consumer behavior are and trying to find the actual reasons that m

Assignment 18: Creating a Customer Avatar

My product will be sold to both business and individuals, but I will focus on individuals for this assignment because there are many more of them and I think they make the most interesting customer avatar. My customer is a 21-year-old woman who lives and breathes makeup. The centerpiece of her room is her vanity and she has her makeup separated by brand, type, and color. She subscribes to all the hottest makeup YouTubers and trusts their opinions on which products to buy. She flew all the way to LA once to go to Beauty Con and meet Jeffree Star, her idol. In fact, she even has her own beauty YouTube channel. She doesn't have many subscribers yet, but she's just happy to be putting her art out there into the world, you know? She lives in an apartment close to her college campus with her three girlfriends. She's a marketing major, but she's just doing it to please her parents. She knows she wants to be a makeup artist. She drives a silver 2011 Toyota Camry that has