Skip to main content

Assignment 21: Reading Reflection No. 2

For this assignment, I read Clay Shirky's "Cognitive Surplus." (I really, ridiculously enjoyed it!)

1. The central theme of the book is how humanity's inherent need to socialize, share, and communicate can be harnessed via social media technology to coordinate action and discussion in an unprecedented way. This is called our cognitive surplus. Throughout the book, he cites various examples of curious human behavior that arose from the combination of humanity's basic desire to be social creatures and innovative forums for public discourse. It's a truly fascinating analysis of human behavior and how it has not been changed but given new opportunities through the Internet and social media.

2. I am taking two business courses right now as part of my outside concentration for my major. I've learned in both courses that a huge part of business is looking past what you think the reasons for consumer behavior are and trying to find the actual reasons that motivate them. This, by no coincidence, is also a huge portion of Shirky's book. In class, Professor Pryor says that entrepreneurs make a mistake when they assume consumers want their product when, in fact, they want a solution to a problem. In the same vein, Shirky says that people don't want to passively consume media, they want the opportunity to interact with media in new ways. The study of entrepreneurship involves a lot of study of human behavior, and this book was no exception.

3. The main point of this book, the power of unified effort via the Internet, is something people my age are acutely aware of. We click "Interested" on Facebook events that would've gone unnoticed in the community 10 years ago. We read lengthy discourses on interesting topics on Reddit. We participate in Instagram fitness challenges and encourage others under the appropriate hashtags. This stuff isn't new to us; we were born doing it. However, I might consider asking the class to attempt to organize an event via an unconventional media channel. In one part of the book, Shirky describes how teenage girls in Korea organized massive public protests via messaging boards on a boy band's website. Although the band had nothing to do with the protests and did not initiate the conversation, the fans merely saw an opportunity to organize on the website and seized it. This exercise might demonstrate that participants have the capacity to harness a group's cognitive surplus, even in unlikely spaces. 

4. This book said many things I already unconsciously believed to be true, but seeing it put into words made me conscious of aspects of human behavior. I suppose I suspected that social media and the Internet made humans a bit more lazy, which is partially true, but a major talking point in Shirky's book is how every innovation comes with good and bad consequences. I'm sure people thought the telephone degraded the value of face-to-face contact, which is fair, but I don't have to explain the positive value of the telephone. Similarly, there will always be people creating useless content on the Internet, but for every cat video, there is a Facebook event for a community protest. What I took away was to value the collective experience of the Internet and what it enables people to do. As someone who appreciates cat videos and community demonstrations, I love this about the time I happen to be living in and Shirky's insightful analysis of the human condition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 28: Your Exit Strategy

1. I think my exit strategy will involve expanding the business for a decade or so and then selling it. I think that my knowledge and tastes concerning makeup have a shelf life, and one day my products will be irrelevant. I think I will sell the business before that happens. That way, some ambitious newcomer can make something of the brand name and I can retire. 2. As I've stated in previous posts, many big names in the makeup industry will start by selling one product and then expand into other product lines. I hope to do the same thing since I obviously love makeup and would like to create a makeup collection of my own. Expanding the business for 10 years or so will give me the time I need to establish my brand name and accomplish everything I want to accomplish before selling. 3. I really hadn't thought of my exit strategy before now since I was so concerned with getting my venture off the ground. I think I was aware that whatever I chose as my business idea for this cou

Assignment 18: Creating a Customer Avatar

My product will be sold to both business and individuals, but I will focus on individuals for this assignment because there are many more of them and I think they make the most interesting customer avatar. My customer is a 21-year-old woman who lives and breathes makeup. The centerpiece of her room is her vanity and she has her makeup separated by brand, type, and color. She subscribes to all the hottest makeup YouTubers and trusts their opinions on which products to buy. She flew all the way to LA once to go to Beauty Con and meet Jeffree Star, her idol. In fact, she even has her own beauty YouTube channel. She doesn't have many subscribers yet, but she's just happy to be putting her art out there into the world, you know? She lives in an apartment close to her college campus with her three girlfriends. She's a marketing major, but she's just doing it to please her parents. She knows she wants to be a makeup artist. She drives a silver 2011 Toyota Camry that has