Skip to main content

Assignment 24: Venture Concept No. 1, The Glow and Behold Mirror

1. Opportunity

  • To explain the need I'm fulfilling with my product, I'll first show a few memes made by people who are likely in my target market:


  • You get the idea. Most people do their makeup in their bathroom or at their desk. The lighting in these situations can be very poor, so one only knows whether they've done a bad job blending their makeup once they step out into natural sunlight. There is a need for a way to simulate natural sunlight indoors. 
  • My potential customers include makeup enthusiasts and makeup artists. Anyone who is truly dedicated to applying their makeup flawlessly is in need of consistent, favorable lighting for makeup application. Makeup artists also have this need, as they are always working in different spaces and, as a consequence, inconsistent lighting to meet client needs. Although they don't have the need themselves, I believe that I have a promising market in hotel and Airbnb owners. Services are entirely based on intangible benefits, but consumers still judge the quality of services based on the tangibles. For example, a hotel guest will judge the quality of their stay based on the comfort of the beds, the taste of the room service food, etc.  The solution I'm offering would be another tangible they could provide to their guests to increase overall ratings.
  • The forces in the environment creating this opportunity are the popularization of beauty culture, beauty YouTubers, and beauty retailers. Makeup is shifting from a way to cover up skin imperfections to a way to express oneself and hone one's artistic skill. 
  • There is no real point to defining my customers geographically or demographically because different people from all over the world can benefit from a solution to this problem. 
  • Customers that I've spoken to satisfy the need by either going outside to check their makeup or doing their makeup in front of a window, even if that isn't the most ideal place for a mirror. They aren't married to this solution at all because it is an inconvenience to them.
  • Every makeup user I've talked to has said that this is a need they'd like a solution to, so I'd say the opportunity is big. 
  • I can't predict how long the window of opportunity will be open, nor can I predict whether my solution to the need will still be viable in 10 years due to rapidly improving technology. All I know is that there is a need, it has existed as long as makeup has, and I think I can provide a solution.
2. Innovation

  • The Glow and Behold Mirror is a smart mirror equipped with light bulbs that are capable of imitating the look of natural lighting. I realize that nothing can look like natural light but natural light, which is why we aim to simulate the look so makeup lovers can apply their makeup in similar lighting without walking outside and hating how their makeup looks. The goal here isn't to bring the sun inside, it's to create the ideal lighting for makeup application indoors.
  • My idea is to have these bulbs inlaid into the mirror. The mirror would then be powered by remote control, giving the user the option to activate preset lighting settings or adjust the lighting's color, saturation, brightness, etc. to their liking.
  • Some customers I talked to prefer a big bathroom mirror to hang permanently, and some prefer a portable mirror they can take on-the-go. These are the two different models of the mirror that customers can choose from. One is a large hanging mirror and the other is a small portable mirror. The large mirror is the one I'd market to hotel and Airbnb owners.
  • I'd like to minimize the cost of the mirror to maybe $20 for the portable one and $40 for the hanging one. The star of the show here is the light bulbs, but light bulbs need to be replaced. I'd sell replacement light bulbs for a higher markup than the mirror at maybe $10-15 per replacement.

3. Venture concept

  • My innovation addresses the opportunity identified because it eliminates the uncertainty of whether one's makeup will look right when they step outside. The need to have consistent makeup every time under different indoor lighting is solved by my concept.
  • Customers will switch to this product because makeup users want good lighting for doing their makeup. Hotel and Airbnb owners will buy the product because, as I said, they want to provide the best tangible experience possible for their guests. Further down the line, I think makeup stores like Sephora and Ulta will buy my product because it will make it easier for their employees to color match customers' foundation and perform other makeup artistry services. It might be hard to get customers to understand the concept initially, but once we push through the initial phase of pioneering institutional advertising, customers should readily understand what this product can do for them.
  • The competitors are existing vanity mirrors that claim to provide bright or high-power lighting. I now know that bright light doesn't necessarily mean good light, which is where their vulnerability lies. Their strength lies in the fact that most people think of Hollywood dressing room vanity mirrors as the standard for high-quality makeup lighting. My task is to break this image and position my mirror as the new standard for makeup lighting.
  • Packaging is very important to my consumer because the beauty industry is very much about aesthetics. My mirror and its packaging need to be aesthetically pleasing or the customer will not buy.
  • Customers of the beauty industry have shown that they are willing to pay a higher price for quality goods. I just need to make sure I'm making the highest quality product and the customer will pay for what it's worth.
  • After my Beautycon launch, I will first distribute my mirrors to beauty influencers on Instagram, who will share the mirror with their followings and get my name out there. I'll then open up my online store to any buyer. I'll then start marketing toward hotel and Aribnb owners once enough of my mirrors are in the hands of regular customers to show that this product is in high demand. Finally, I'll make a move for stores like Ulta and Sephora to carry my product in-store, and maybe even use the product to provide makeup services. The endgame is to get my product stocked in major beauty stores.
  • Customer support will be important since it is a tech product, so there will definitely be some technical difficulties involved with installation and remote control use. I'll hire people who are friendly, knowledgable, and patient with customers who may not be so tech-savvy.
  • The customer experience is all that really matters in the end. I want people to have fun playing with the lighting settings, taking selfies in their new mirror, and honing their artistic skills without having to worry about poor lighting. My brand is all about making it easier for the consumer to explore their creativity.
  • I don't plan on having a brick-and-mortar business location ever. However, I do predict that my brand's placement in Sephora, Ulta, Riley Rose, etc. will be integral to my longterm success.
  • For just one product, this is a pretty big undertaking as a business. I'm thinking I'll start with around 20 employees. Their roles will include:
    • Engineers
    • Manufacturer of the product
    • Customer service reps
    • Brand ambassadors
    • Marketing coordinators
4. Unfair advantage: As I explained in my last post, I think my venture's unfair advantage lies in my ability to communicate through a variety of media. As a journalism major, I've developed skills in writing copy, graphic design, illustration, photography, videography, and more. This unique combination of proficiencies allows me to effectively market my product to an aesthetics-heavy industry.
5. What's next for the venture? The next step for the venture is definitely to get in touch with engineers who can bring my vision to life. The success of this mirror is all in its functionality, so I need the best people on my side to make sure my product is designed and executed with care. The obvious next step is to find those people and get the ball rolling.
6. What's next for me? I hadn't considered it until I started thinking of an answer to this question, but I wouldn't be mad if this venture ended in me launching my own makeup line 10 years from now. Hopefully, in five years the Glow and Behold mirror will be a staple of makeup enthusiasts everywhere and I will be a respected name in the beauty industry. Many people in the industry start by selling beauty tools or cheap beauty products to get their name out there and expand into more luxurious products once they've established their brand. This sort of side-door approach is very common, so I could see myself using this first venture as a way to assert myself in the beauty scene before releasing my own makeup products.

Comments

  1. Hey Peyton! Something that really surprised me was your indepth understanding of the power of influencer marketing. I work with a lot of marketing myself and in my experience it seems to be the case that as pricing of instagram and facebooks ads rise, the ROI of influencer marketing is the way to go. You seem to have a pretty solid and detailed plan, I look forward to seeing you move forward with this idea. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peyton, great job with your post. You defined your idea and venture concept really well, and you clearly have an idea of how the business would run if you were to develop your product. I think your product would be very successful if you implemented all your ideas perfectly. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 28: Your Exit Strategy

1. I think my exit strategy will involve expanding the business for a decade or so and then selling it. I think that my knowledge and tastes concerning makeup have a shelf life, and one day my products will be irrelevant. I think I will sell the business before that happens. That way, some ambitious newcomer can make something of the brand name and I can retire. 2. As I've stated in previous posts, many big names in the makeup industry will start by selling one product and then expand into other product lines. I hope to do the same thing since I obviously love makeup and would like to create a makeup collection of my own. Expanding the business for 10 years or so will give me the time I need to establish my brand name and accomplish everything I want to accomplish before selling. 3. I really hadn't thought of my exit strategy before now since I was so concerned with getting my venture off the ground. I think I was aware that whatever I chose as my business idea for this cou

Assignment 21: Reading Reflection No. 2

For this assignment, I read Clay Shirky's "Cognitive Surplus." (I really, ridiculously enjoyed it!) 1. The central theme of the book is how humanity's inherent need to socialize, share, and communicate can be harnessed via social media technology to coordinate action and discussion in an unprecedented way. This is called our cognitive surplus. Throughout the book, he cites various examples of curious human behavior that arose from the combination of humanity's basic desire to be social creatures and innovative forums for public discourse. It's a truly fascinating analysis of human behavior and how it has not been changed but given new opportunities through the Internet and social media. 2. I am taking two business courses right now as part of my outside concentration for my major. I've learned in both courses that a huge part of business is looking past what you think the reasons for consumer behavior are and trying to find the actual reasons that m

Assignment 18: Creating a Customer Avatar

My product will be sold to both business and individuals, but I will focus on individuals for this assignment because there are many more of them and I think they make the most interesting customer avatar. My customer is a 21-year-old woman who lives and breathes makeup. The centerpiece of her room is her vanity and she has her makeup separated by brand, type, and color. She subscribes to all the hottest makeup YouTubers and trusts their opinions on which products to buy. She flew all the way to LA once to go to Beauty Con and meet Jeffree Star, her idol. In fact, she even has her own beauty YouTube channel. She doesn't have many subscribers yet, but she's just happy to be putting her art out there into the world, you know? She lives in an apartment close to her college campus with her three girlfriends. She's a marketing major, but she's just doing it to please her parents. She knows she wants to be a makeup artist. She drives a silver 2011 Toyota Camry that has